Skip to main content

The New Face of Gaming



The above photograph, taken by Brant Ward, comes from an article entitled Struggling GameStop reinventing itself.   The article is an interesting one, detailing how GameStop plans on incorporating the sale of refurbished products into its core business.  But what really caught my attention was that photo.  That's no kid buying video games!  Truth is, despite what the mainstream media might lead you to believe, THAT is closer to the real face of gaming than any photo of a raging teenager.  As I wrote in my blog's mission statement (find it on the right sidebar), gaming isn't just kids stuff anymore!  In fact, according to the most recent data from the Entertainment Software Association, the average age of the gamer is now 30 (down from 37 - a strange statistical blip considering the nation is getting older and not younger), with 37 percent of all gamers being over 36 (and 25% over 50, according to another survey I read last year - sorry, can't find the link).


More data from the ESA:

  1. Consumers spent $24.75 billion on video games, hardware and accessories in 2011.
  2. Purchases of digital content accounted for 31 percent of game sales in 2011, generating $7.3 billion in revenue.
  3. The average U.S. household owns at least one dedicated game console, PC or smartphone.
  4. The average game player is 30 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.
  5. The average age of the most frequent game purchaser is 35 years old.
  6. Forty-seven percent of all game players are women. In fact, women over the age of 18 represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (30 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (18 percent).
  7. Sixty-two percent of gamers play games with others, either in-person or online.
  8. Thirty-three percent of gamers play games on their smartphones, and 25 percent play games on their handheld device.
  9. Seventy-three percent of all games sold in 2011 were rated "E" for Everyone, "T" for Teen, or "E10+" for Everyone 10+. For more information on game ratings, please see www.esrb.org.
  10. Parents are present when games are purchased or rented 90 percent of the time.

There is also another interesting tidbit in that article:

Another cross-promotion tool is its [GameStop] print magazine, Game Informer, which at 8.2 million subscribers has become the third-largest magazine in the United States, according to the Audit Bureau of Circulations.

The third largest magazine is a gaming magazine.  Do you think only kids are reading Game Informer with a circulation like that?  Of course not.

Gaming is the new entertainment reality, and truly does cover "millions of Americans of all ages and background", as the ESA states.  Hence, the reason why the Old Media is so determined to portray it in the worst possible light.  I mean, if you are playing Call of Duty, you aren't watching The Housewives of Weehawken...or whatever dreadful fare they are phoning in these days.

Mr. George R. R. Martin Look Alike Bushy Beard Guy: I salute you!  We have a lot in common, after all....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gamer's Review: Hellsing Ultimate

Is it too early to start queuing up some entertainment for Halloween?  Just a bit.  Regardless, I find myself doing just that.  Part of the reason is that summer for my region never really arrived.  Instead of the requisite heat and humidity, we were treated to largely cool, dry days.  Really, it has felt like little more than an extended late spring or early autumn.  As a result I have found myself yearning to get autumn underway as there isn't any point of continuing this useless summer.  This is why I have been looking forward to Halloween: it is THE holiday of autumn! But in addition to that, two games have recently awakened in me a love for the horror of "urban fantasy":   Shadowrun Returns , and The Secret World .  As I detailed here , those two games have hit a home run with me, and made me reconsider the whole horror genre - a genre I never particularly cared for seeing the low budget "torture porn" tripe coming out of Hollywood...

The Tank Chooses You

In the much revered martial art of "Tankery", they say that "you don't choose the tank, the tank chooses you."  I have found this to be true...well, at least it is with Wargaming.net's World of Tanks . Going into World of Tanks with its over 200 armored vehicles is a lot like stepping into a Walmart:  I mean, where do you turn first?  There is so much to choose from that picking just one from the massive pile of tanks often comes down to an arbitrary criterion.  For me and WoT, that criterion was simple patriotism:  if I was going to have a favorite tank, it was darn well going to be an American tank!  With that in mind, I decided to go with the WWII light tank classic, the M3 Stuart: Some background:  built by Cadillac, a total of 13,859 vehicles were manufactured from 1941 through September 1943.  Initially, it was armed with a 37mm M5 gun, and five .30-06 Browning M1919A4 machine guns, but later the main gun was upgraded to a slig...

You Made Me Do This!

...And by "this" I mean a return to tabletop gaming.  Oh, and by "you" I mean you lousy game developers .  Okay, that might be a bit harsh, but I am angry.  Very angry.  You have killed PC gaming for me. Kaput.  Finished. Done.  I just can't take anymore of the slop being shoveled my way.  And I certainly tried to put up with it for as long as possible.  I mean, just take a look at this blog, one of my many, many blogs, where I desperately tried to put lipstick on a pig.  But in the final analysis it has proven to be all for naught.  PC gaming, video gaming - whatever you want to call it, - is now dead to me.  For the time being, anyway. I think this realization really hit home with the spectacular launch fiasco that was X: Rebirth .  I mean, here we had a dedicated PC game developer, one beloved by fans around the world, that released what could be described as an awful and incomplete console port.  This fiasco wa...